I hope you all enjoyed a nice day off with your children yesterday.
Last week, we had a very busy and productive week!
In MATH, we took our test over Chapter 2. This test covered multiples, factors, and estimation. The students did pretty well on this test. I hope you all got a chance to look over your child's test to see how they did.
Mrs. Whitten began Chapter 3 with the class towards the end of last week. Chapter 3 covers multi-digit multiplication and gets into some division as well. The students are doing pretty well, but those students that don't know their multiplication facts are really struggling. We've done a few timed tests for multiplication, and I've already seen improvement! Many students have already passed their 2's and 3's timed tests. I hope to see many more pass these before parent/teacher conferences. I will be sharing your child's progress on these timed tests during our conference.
In READING, we completed our Centers activities that went along with our story Kai's Journey to Gold Mountain. The students looked up facts on Angel Island and learned more about the history behind immigration. They did a vocabulary word hunt as well as writing synonyms for their vocabulary words. The students also met with me in small reading groups to enhance their learning on comparing and contrasting characters as well as their vocabulary. These small groups are leveled reading groups based upon the students reading levels, so they get reading instruction at their reading level.
This week in reading, Mrs. Whitten will be teaching the story Little House in the Big Woods-On the Banks of Plum Creek. The students will receive new vocabulary words, so be looking for those to come home today (Tuesday). They will be tested on these new words next Thursday, October 18, since we will not have school on Friday, Oct. 19. The students will be working on conflict and resolution amongst characters as their focus skill this week.
In LANGUAGE ARTS, we will be working on complete and simple subjects and predicates in sentences. The students had some difficulty finding the subjects and predicates last week, so we will continue this concept this week as well.
In SOCIAL STUDIES, the students finished their unit on the South West states with Mrs. Whitten. They had their test last week and did very well. I hope your child shared some of the facts they learned about the states in the South West region.
We will begin a new SCIENCE unit this week about Earth Materials. I had planned to start this last week, but we didn't move as quickly as I had anticipated. This week we will be looking at "mock rocks" and what materials make up rocks in our world. We will take these "mock rocks" apart and try to figure out what they are made up of. We will then use a dissolving technique to help us determine the "ingredients" of the rocks. Students will have a great time becoming scientists and investigators.
As we get closer to Parent/Teacher conferences, please be looking for a letter coming home with your specific date and time for your conference. I would love for students to come with you to these conferences if possible, so they can hear us talking about their learning. They also provide a lot of insight as to how we can work together to help them with our learning. It's very empowering for the students to see their parents and their teacher talking together in order to help them. I look forward to meeting with all of you to share your students progress. We've had a great time in the classroom so far and I can't wait to share everything with you.
I hope you all received the October book orders in students backpacks last week. Attached to the front was a letter that allows you to order these on-line instead of sending a check to school with your child. Please know that each time you order on-line, our classroom receives a free book for our classroom library, so it helps our class as well as your child. Students become better readers the more they read, so it helps us all!
Have a great week and, as always, should you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions, please let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment