This month is getting away from me! I guess time flies when you're having fun!
In MATH, I hope you all received the letters telling about the math groups we started today. Students were placed in groups based upon previous state and MAP test scores. The students will then go to their math group every day from 9-10am for math instruction. This means that if your child is going to Mr. Spreer for math group, that he will be assigning all of the Math In Focus work for your child. If you have questions about an assignment, I would be happy to answer them for you, but please know that Mr. Spreer would be happy to help out as well. The same goes for Mrs. Bowman if your child is going to her for math instruction. Some of the students will be staying with me, so nothing will change if this is the case. We wanted to implement these math groups so that each child could be instructed at their level in math. We are hoping to see gains in their test scores by implementing these groups. I think the students will find that it is better for them as well, since we will be instructing them at their levels. I will explain more about math groups during parent/teacher conferences, but if you have questions before then, please let me know.
We will be working on Chapter 3 in math groups this week, which is on multi-digit multiplication and division. Please continue working on multiplication facts with your child at home and signing their math calendars each time they practice. I will still be checking these every Monday.
In READING, Mrs. Whitten is meeting with leveled reading groups this week. The students are also working on Centers that go along with the story we read last week titled On the Banks of Plum Creek. This is an excerpt taken from a Little House on the Prairie book by Laura Ingalls Wilder. The students really enjoyed the story last week, but our test scores weren't so good. Please talk to your child about their reading comprehension score from last Friday. They should have shown you a slip of paper with their test score on it. If they didn't, please let me know if you need their score on this test.
The vocabulary from last week will continue this week and students will be tested over these words on Friday.
In LANGUAGE ARTS, we are still working on identifying subjects and predicates in a sentence. We talked about simple and complete subjects and predicates as well. Students are getting better with this skill, but we still need some practice. This week, we will also discuss compound subjects and predicates.
In SCIENCE, we have started our unit on Earth Materials. The students have conducted an experiment already and will most likely take a look at their results today (Monday). This is a very exciting unit for the students and they learn a lot about rocks and minerals. Please be talking to your student about what they are learning in science to see if they can tell you about all the fun things we are doing!
Students will NOT have spelling or reading tests next week due to a three day week. Please be aware that there will not be school this Friday, October 19 as well as next Thursday and Friday, October 25-26 due to Parent/Teacher conferences.
Next Wednesday and Thursday (October 24-25) is Parent/Teacher conferences, and I am looking forward to discussing your child's progress so far in fourth grade. This is one of two times we get to sit down and discuss their achievement, so I'd love to have all of you here during your scheduled time. If something comes up and you aren't able to make it that day, please call the office and let them know. I'd be more than happy to try to reschedule this with you. It's very important that you are involved and know how your child is succeeding in fourth grade, which is why it's extremely important for us to meet. I can't wait to share with you all the wonderful things your children have done so far in fourth grade.
Have a great week and I look forward to seeing you all next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment